(ET) Does battery voltage affect amp gauge?

I have an E12M I am troubleshooting. The batteries were completely dead
upon arrival but they somewhat came back to life. The voltage gauge always
reads low but the machine can still mow for over an hour.

The amp gauge often reads high from the upper green to all the way pegged
by driving in any gear. If I turn the mower deck on it's always 100% pegged
an amp gauge.

Does anyone know if this is normal when the batteries are compromised? Or
could there be a short somewhere?