Re: (ET) GE controller

Does it always go forward? You need to ensure that the field stays the same polarity regardless of the armature polarity if it reverses by driving the armature with reverse voltage. Otherwise if you have the field and the armature wired together it will always go in the same direction.

Technically the E15 and E20 motors do have a "preferred" forward. They're not quite shunt motors, the armature circuit does go through a very small (and thick) field winding alongside the normal small shunt current field. The reason for this is that when the tractor goes uphill in forward the field strength will be increased as current draw goes up slowing down the motor and giving it more torque.

If you go up a hill in reverse the field will actually get weaker and the motor will try to pull more current which is not great. I think this is why they lock out field weakening in reverse.