(ET) The key to snowthrowing

Back in December I commented about losing the key that locked the snowthrower drive sprocket to the motor shaft. As a result, I tried several techniques to fix that problem. Until now, there hasn't been enough snow here to warrant using the snowthrower, so the effectiveness of those fixes has remained unknown. (The E15 with plow was able to clear the driveway.)

Here are the fixes:

1. Install a new setscrew.  (The old one looked OK, but why not use a new
one?)
2. Install a new key (3/16" by 1").
3. Install a second setscrew in the hole at 90 degrees from the first one.
4. Apply Lock-tite to the setscrews and key.

The sprocket hub appears to be too small in diameter to allow for an additional setscrew that would lock the first one. I tried to compensate for that by grinding a small indentation in the face of the key where the setscrew touches it. The idea was that the setscrew would then lock the key into place when tightened.

"Tightened" is probably a crucial consideration, as I had been using a wimpy little 1/8" Allen wrench to tighten the setscrews. That was difficult, with the Allen wrench on the bottom side of the hub, the only way that there was clearance for the wrench, and doing the job with a flashlight and mirror. Instead of the Allen wrench, this time I used a 1/8" hex bit with a 1/4" hex driver, which gave a lot more "purchase" on the setscrew.

At any rate, the snowthrower now seems to work correctly. The sprocket has stayed in place. Of course, I don't know which fix (or fixes) really did the job.

Larry Chace, Ithaca, NY  I-5 (snowthrower) and E15 (plow)