Re: (ET) Battery dilemma

As I think you now see, it's not the so much bad batteries as the one bad cell.  (#5)    I think once you replace that battery, things will work pretty well.

I do think that the float voltage is a bit low, but I'm not sure.   Personally, I'm not a fan of chargers that change their output voltage based on how "smart" they are.    But if those voltages are the final charge voltage, it's too low.   If they finish at a higher voltage, and then the charger drops to that, it might be OK, but I'm skeptical.  A good solid charger that just runs at 13.8-14 volts, (in 12v land), is my preference.   Charge, and shut the charger off.   Even if you leave it on for a few days, the amperage should only be a few amps, which these batteries can handle.   Personally, I like the GE charger, I think it works very well, _if_ it's working correctly.   Mostly that means the right voltage, which in turn means the right capacitor, one that has not drifted from old age.   But the GE charger, working correctly, is powerful and simple.   Combined with the timer, it's a good setup.

Robbie