Re: (ET) Running but still odd things, tiny screw head on the thermal breaker, left or right?

So I was checking the tractor and I see there is 36 volts on the relay going to the field in forward, but only 26 volts in reverse. Odd, but it does mean I should have field current.

So I went under the tractor and looked at the motor. Wiggled the two big wires to the motor and the bottom one broke off. Fair enough, it's an old wire. So with the wire off I put the tractor in forward and hit the gas.

Speed 4. Then I remembered: The contactors are on the negative side of the motor, maybe the tractor has a ground fault and it's feeding through a second ground fault in the motor. Ok, find the second ground fault.

Then I put the tractor in reverse. Nothing. Touched the wire to the motor bolt...

And got a plasma arc that was huge!

Ok, that woke me up FAST.

It's possible I am dealing with a second ground fault here. I know there is one in the motor, probably due to dust and crap and I have been avoiding taking the motor apart. But if there is a second one then yes putting any power to the motor would be full power.

Maybe it's in the new mower deck wiring.....