Re: (ET) Front lift strap keeps breaking

I do have the helper springs installed.

Darryl

On 1/30/2019 2:45 PM, Nick Skinner wrote:
I didn't see a mention of helper springs. You blower does have a set,
correct?

Nick

-----Original Message-----
From: Darryl McMahon [mailto:darryl econogics com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 1:39 PM
To: Elec-Trak
Subject: (ET) Front lift strap keeps breaking

So far this month (January 2019), we have had about 98 cm of snow (about
40 inches).  Fortunately, I picked up an E15 the summer before last and
now have it re-powered (sealed lead-acid golf car batteries and 12-amp
charger).  Got a snowblower turning nicely and attached.  Battery holds
up to 2-3 hours of operation without getting seriously drained despite
cold-soaking (unheated storage).

Had some tire issues, but a friend recommended Green Slime.  Seems to
have resolved the sidewall crack leak, so the 40-year-old tires will
hopefully last a bit longer.  (Will probably replace all the rubber in
the summer, when working outdoors is a more hospitable.  It's cold here
this winter, even by Ottawa standards - repeated frostbite warnings.  On
the plus side, no mosquitoes.)

I wanted the snowblower going, because by Christmas the snowbanks were
already over 4 feet high, and defeating the E12 with the plow blade.

I estimate in the 15-20 hours of run time I have done this month on the
E15, I have lifted the blower 400-500 times.  (Areas I do involve short
runs and not enough space to turn around, so a lot of backing up and
transiting with the blower lifted.)  Yesterday, I broke another lift
strap.  Looks to be simple wear, breaking at the roller on the blower
frame.  I double loop to get the mechanical advantage, and the lift
motor (replaced last fall) is working a charm.  Roller sleeve and side
washers all appear smooth, so should not be fraying the strap.

Has anyone come across a highly durable lift strap?  I would just like
to carry out this replacement exercise less frequently.

--
Darryl McMahon
Freelance Project Manager (sustainable systems)