Re: (ET) 18650 Li Ion Batteries?

Hi Keith,

You're talking about a LOT of cells to match the usable amp-hour capacity
of
a golf car battery.  And that's a HECK of a lot of connections, a lot of
potential points of failure.

To wit: a T105 golf car gives you around 130ah of useful capacity.  At 36v
that's about 4.7kWh.  A typical 18650 laptop cell is around 3.3ah and 3.6v
nominal, so it has about 11.9Wh of capacity.  You'd need 395 of them to
match the golf car battery's capacity.  That's 790 individually welded
connections!

But that's not quite all.  You also have to take precautions to prevent
calamity (fire, expolosion) in the case of a cell failing shorted and the
other cells in parallel with it dumping their charge into that short
circuit.  The usual way is a fuse for every cell.  Now you have a lot of
fuses to buy, and you've raised your number of  connections by about 50%,
almost 1,200.

I know, Tesla does it, and it works for them.  But:

1. Their cells have very stringent quality control, and are closely
matched
in capacity and internal resistance.  Most LiIon cells we normal civilians
can buy aren't nearly as well matched and of consistent high quality.
Used
ones are complete crapshoots.

2. Tesla battery packs are assembled by robots, which are pretty good at
not
making mistakes the way we humans do.  (Or at least making them
consistently. :-)

The other question is: why?

To save weight?  With a tractor, you WANT weight, especially when you
start
attaching heavy stuff like snow throwers to the front, or tillers to the
back.  Lighten the tractor too much and you'll find yourself having to add
ballast.  Old lead batteries make pretty decent ballast, by the way.  :-)

For longer life?  Golf car batteries already last 10 years in most ET use.

They could last even longer with more sophisticated charging, and more
even
discharge (get rid of the lift and light taps).  With at least some kinds
of
lithium ion batteries, you're going to run into calendar life issues
before
cycle life depreciates them.

For less mess and maintenance?  For an ET, the better answer to this MO is
lead gel batteries.  I've been using the same set of East Penn Deka
Dominator batteries in my ETs for 20 years, and it's just been in the last
couple that they're finally starting to decline noticeably in capacity.  I
didn't bother to get rid of the taps, but I have been charging them with
individual automatic chargers that are somewhat smarter than the dumb
blunderbuss GE charger.  So no doubt that helped with the long life.

If you decide you still want to try lithium, I suggest that you look
instead
to salvaged modules from a wrecked Nissan Leaf or Chevrolet Volt.  You
won't
have the same hassles with an excessive number of connections, the
consistency is generally good even with used ones, and they're usually
pretty cost effective.

Don't forget that in spite of what some folks will tell you, if you value
your house and garage, for a lithium battery you need a well designed  BMS
to properly and safely control charging and discharging at the cell level.

That will be a significant portion of the battery conversion cost.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA