Re: (ET) 8v battery in the mix?

It probably won't hurt anything on the tractor. The voltage tolerances needed to accommodate everything from an over-charged 36-volt nominal pack to a discharged pack is a big enough range that another 1.75 to 2.6 volts won't matter.

However, if you are using a single 36-volt charger to charge the whole string, you may damage the remaining 5 batteries by reducing their available finishing voltage by a bit over 0.06 volts per cell. Given the voltage range covered by most 36-volt chargers, this is likely a low risk. In effect, you're taking 2 volts off the charger voltage for the 5 6-volt batteries.

I expect the 8-volt battery will have a lower amp-hour rating (but not necessarily). If so, you want to shallow your discharges a bit so you don't over-discharge the 8-volt battery while the 6-volters are doing fine. You can't trust the single 'fuel gauge' for this. The 8-volter is already going to have it reading high, and the 6-volters will happily hide the sag in the 8-volter if you are looking at a single volt-meter for the string. I think you want a separate meter on the 8-volter, and if it reads below 7 volts under load, time to park and charge.

I definitely would not recommend this if the other 5 batteries were newish. I'm not convinced it's a good idea even with old batteries. However, some days, you need a lash-up to get the job done, even knowing it may not be the best idea. My biggest fear here (coming from my reality) is that a 'good-enough for today' solution somehow remains in effect for a couple of years.

Darryl