Re: (ET) 8v battery in the mix?

Biggest problem I see is charging. You would now have a nominal 38 volt pack instead of 36 volts. The charger would need to go 2.3 volts or so higher to get the pack fully charged. Running a 38 volt pack with the stock charger would leave all the batteries undercharged and end their life quickly. With older batteries, the voltage would probably sag enough under load that the motors and controls would see "normal" voltages and be fine.

On 5/26/17 2:47 PM, tb wrote:
No it wouldn't have the same capacity, but I probably/perhaps don't need it to--just until I can get a 6v.  It would cost very little to try, but I don't know if it could damage anything.

By the way, it's an E12M--not one of those 'high-tech' big machines.  :-)

Thanks.

Thon

On May 26, 2017, at 10:05 AM, David Tiefenbrunn wrote:

I would not do that.  The 8v can't have the same capacity as the 6v if it's is the same size.   I free exchange for a used 6v with the other 5 at end of life isn't a bad idea.  Might get you another year.  Definitely not worth getting 1 new one in with the old.  It will be wrecked in short order.

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: A-M <amcool gbta net>
Date: 5/25/17 11:58 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: et <Elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Subject: (ET) 8v battery in the mix?

My pack is probably 7-10 years old, and still does all I need it to--or did until I found one battery open circuit this spring.

As I understand it, putting one new battery in with the other 5 does no favors to the new guy.

My local golf cart dealer will basically exchange a 'decent' old trade-in battery --when he gets one--for my dead one.  He's already been through the spring rush though, so no idea when that might be.

He does have some trade-in deep cycle 8v batteries though, which seem to be the same physical size.  Any chance adding one to the mix might not be too much, until a 6v shows up??

I do have a couple of ICE riders I can use, if this is a bad idea.

Thanks.

Thon