Re: (ET) 8v battery in the mix?

I really don't recommend this.  It's kind of like driving your car with
three 165-R-15 tires and one 195-R-14 tire.

Same-line 6v and 8v golf car batteries use roughly the same amount of
active
material; it's just distributed over 4 cells instead of 3. (Not exactly,
since a little bit of space annd mass goes to the extra cell wall and
interconnects.)

With the volume and mass about the same, so is the kWh capacity, at least
at
low currents.  But the voltage is 1/3 higher and the amp-hour capacity is
1/3 lower.  There are thus effects on the internal resistance and the
Peukert exponent, so in practice the actual kWh capacity ends up lower.
Talk about the pack getting out of balance!

I think you'd be better off to drop in a new 6v battery, even though it's
true that to some extent the older ones will drag it down.

Or, since the rest of the pack is aging anyway, just change the whole
pack,
and find a good home for the remaing 5 usable ones.  Maybe someone nearby
on
this list could use a few decent used GC batteries.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA