Re: (ET) Multi-bank 12V chargers

On 19 May 2017 at 12:19, Ken Olum wrote:

> In the absorption phase, the charger (on the AGM setting) holds a
> constant voltage of 14.4V and the current slowly drops as the battery
> finishes charging.  Then at some point it decides it is done, goes to
> 13.2V float for 24 hours, and then shuts off.  Presumably it decides
> the absorption phase is done because the current has dropped to some
> level, and this level seems to be somewhat below 1A.

A typical IU(I) profile for a 50ah battery at 2.4 vpc would go:

1. Charge at constant current as hard as you can until the on-charge
voltage
reaches 2.4 volts per cell;

2. Hold that voltage until the current falls to 0.02 * C20 (1 amp);

3. (a) shut off, (b) go to float, or (c) equalize at that same 1a until
either the voltage stops rising, or reaches 2.6vpc.

It sounds like your charger is acting pretty much as I'd expect, if it
were
designed to charge a 50ah battery at around 5 amps.  Is that the
situation,
or are the Ox batteries bigger than 50ah?

What's weird here is that this seems like a thoroughly conventional
charging
profile.  I wonder why Minn Kota is so obsessed with keeping it secret.

> I would not leave this charger connected indefinitely.

I wouldn't either.

> Even in the off phase it watches the battery voltage and restarts the
> charging processes if it falls below 12.6 (I think).

That seems a little high to me.  Open circuit voltage is a pretty
inaccurate
way to judge SOC, but typically a battery at 12.6v is close to fully
charged.  You'd think the charger would wait until it falls to maybe
12.4v.
With an AGM, that would be a long time -- unless while it's monitoring the
battery voltage, it's actually drawing current from the battery.  I'd be
tempted to put a milliammeter between the charger and the battery to
measure
idle current.

>  I think it is more likely to repeatedly go through the charging cycle
> unnecessarily.

I'm not a big fan of leaving even automatic shutoff chargers connected
forever, no matter what the manufacturers claim.  I learned the hard way.

> But even if it not completely "charge and forget", I think it is at
> least "charge and forget until morning".

Lots of merit in that ...

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA