Re: (ET) Multi-bank 12V chargers

On 18 May 2017 at 11:38, Ken Olum wrote:

> Minn-Kota MK460 ...

I have no direct experience with that charger.

That said, multi-bank chargers seem like a good idea, but you need to be
pretty sure of reilability.  I know someone who tried a different brand
(sorry, I don't remember what it was) many years ago in a road EV.  He had
multiple failures.

I'm not 100% sure I'm remembering this history right.  It's been a long
time
and I may have 2 or 3 different EVers mixed together in this.  But if
memory
serves, the first time it happened, he drove the car without realizing it,
and reversed that charger's battery.  The charger manufacturer replaced
the
charger, but wouldn't pay for the damaged battery.  After a couple more
failures he went to a series charger for the entire pack (144v, IIRC) with
shunt regulators on each battery.  (That has its own failure modes, but
they're apt to result in less dramatic damage to batteries.)

One advantage of using 3 fully separate chargers rather than a bank
charger
is that you can keep a 4th charger around as a spare, in case one charger
takes a powder.  That's probably cheaper than keeping an entire spare
3-bank
charger in the garage.

> they will not disclose the exact algorithm used in their charger.

Are they trying to sell to OEMs?  I don't know an engineer who would
choose
a charger for his product if he couldn't get its profile details.

Another question, is the charger manufactured in China?  It's really hard
keep "intellectual property" secret there.  There's a decent chance that
by
now some other Chinese electronics company (maybe even a division of their
own subcontractor) has cloned it.  Check Ebay and Aliexpress to see if you
can spot a similar-looking no-name at half the price.

> It is very slow to start up, not reaching full charging current for
> about 10 minutes ...

That seems like an odd design choice.

As I mentioned before, lead batteries need an intial charging current
that's
as high as possible.  For golf car batteries, 100a wouldn't be
unreasonable.

It doesn't have to last more than a few minutes (maybe even seconds), but
that initial blast of current somehow makes the battery take the charge
more
readily.  I'm not an electrochemist and I don't know why.

Some batteries need it more than others.  I remember back in '96 that
Solectria (the now-gone EV development and conversion company) was
offering
EV hobbyists fire-sale prices on Hawker Genesis batteries.  I found out
years later that they'd bought a huge stock of them for their Force
conversions, only to learn that their chargers of the time couldn't hit
the
batteries with enough initial current.  They switched to East Penn gel
batteries, which were (and are) more forgiving; problem solved.

Here's an intriguing idea.  If all you need is seconds at high current
(and
I'm not sure that's true), I wonder if you could use a supercap or
ultracap
to deliver the opening jab, and then finish the charging with a more
modest
charger.

> and the transition from absorption to float seems to me to be at a
> rather low current.

If the battery is really fully charged, float current should start at zero.

That said, IMO there's no reason to use a float charger with an ET.  It
might be different with your Ox, if it presents parasitic loads on the
battery when it's not operating.

With fairly new batteries that are kept clean and don't have parasitic
loads, self discharge isn't really all that high.  This is especially true
with AGM and gel batteries.  Many good ones can sit for more than a year
with only a few percent of SOC loss.

Unnecessary float charging leads to positive grid corrosion.  That's why
you
have to change the battery in your computer UPS every few years, even if
you
never drain it.

Speaking of such matters, my Cliplight (Exide) chargers are themselves
parasitic loads, so they can't be left connected permanently. Their analog
shutoff and polarity-protection circuits draw about 16ma from the
batteries.
That adds up.  Ignore them for a week and you've lost 2.7ah. With my
batteries, that's almost 5%.

What their modern equivalent does, I don't know.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA