(ET) Smoothing the deck-motor mating

I'm putting my mower deck back together (finally!) after rebuilding the motors and repainting. The metal of the deck isn't perfectly smooth (surprising I know, considering it's 45 years old), due to some old rust pitting (cleaned and treated with POR-15), and probably a few bonks over the years. So that contributes to less-than perfect mating between the motor mounting rings and the deck. I have the extra rings to put underneath the deck to help tighten up the connection, but it seems like it would be nice to have something that can be squished in place between the moutning ring and the deck to try to cut down on rattling.

My first thought was making rubber flanges out of rubber sheets. But, then I started thinking about other options - like plumber's putty, or caulk. The problem with caulk of course is that I wouldn't want something that bonds the motors in place. What about plumber's putty? Any thoughts on this?

BTW, VHT's spray-cans of caliper paint make a nice hard top coat (I used the black and silver on some parts - not the entire tractor).

Thanks,

Mike

Michael S. Briggs, PhD
UNH Physics Department