Re: (ET) Best undercoating option for mower deck

I think it's a mistake to spray water under the deck.  The original motor
bearings are shielded, not sealed, and water will get into them.

I have sealed bearings in mine, but I still won't hose it off.  I just
scrape the grass off after mowing, using a plastic ice scraper.

At the end of the mowing season, I take the deck off (something of an
operation with my New Idea R36), flip it over, scrape some more, and wipe
the underside with a wet rag to get most of the remaining grass off.

A couple of summers ago, I had the R36's mower deck sandblasted and powder
coated.  The shop used an extra heavy duty coating that came only in
white,
so now my mower looks kind of like a rolling orange Creamsicle.  ;-)

The powder coating seems to be holding up well so far.  It's hard to tell
for sure, though, because I also coated the underside of the deck with a
graphite spray.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA