(ET) Mower motors - should they spin freely?

I've asked a couple questions recently about rebuilding the mower motors, and am trying to figure out how badly mine need it.

I currently have two of the larger ones and one of the smaller ones on the tractor - the smaller one is a temporary replacement for a larger one, since the mounting ring on that larger one broke into many pieces. The small one seems to have died this weekend though - it doesn't do anything when powering on the PTO. Nada.

The two larger ones work (as does the third large one that I'll hopefully put back on soon with a replacement mounting ring). But, I doubt they've ever been rebuilt. When I spin the blades by hand, there is some "crunching" (not sure if that's the best description - it's intermittent like something is occasionally grinding). If I try to give them a spin and let go, they immediately come to a stop once I let go. Is that indicative of lots of physical resistance, such as from bad bearings? Hopefully not a bent armature that would need to be rewound?

It seems like that could be draining my batteries faster than if the motors were in good shape.

Thanks,

Mike

Michael S. Briggs, PhD
UNH Physics Department