Re: (ET) Mower motors - should they spin freely?

With the blade installed, should indeed coast for a little bit (assuming unplugged from the tractor, which it should be as don't want to be grabbing blades to try spinning otherwise). If give one blade a good spin, the other blades will turn a little as the motor you are turning becomes a generator. "Crunching" is not right.

It does sound like the bearings are shot and need to replace as RJ said.