Re: (ET) Curtis controller mod

On 28 Apr 2016 at 12:24, Robert Troll wrote:

> Do you have a curtis lying around that is not being used? If so you are
> looking at around $50 in parts to build the field ckt. The cost of the
> ET specific alltrax is $450. I would not go out any buy a new curtis,
> or used one, unless it could be had for under $200.

I'd still suggest looking at a 4QD.  The 320 amp version is $300 and the
smaller 210 amp controller is $240.

What interests me about the 4QD is its true 4-quadrant control.  Not that
plan to experiment with skid-steering, but I do like the idea of seamless
reversing from a single neutral-center control (wig-wag).  It also has
dynamic (regenerative) braking, which I miss a little in the Alltrax.

There are downsides to it though, as I've mentioned before.

> If not then give Jim or Harold a call and buy the Alltrax. The ET
> specific alltrax controls the field natively, and will reducing the
> wiring down to almost nothing.

Without a doubt, that's the easiest option. Hey, it worked for me!  But
you
should know that it's not exactly a bolt in replacement.

You really should have a litle background with electronics.  The Alltrax
needs an external resistor and diode, or at least mine did, so you should
know what those are and how to use them.  You should be able to read a
schematic diagram.  Some soldering ability will help too, but you could
probably use fastons or crimp connnectors instead.

Basically, though, if you've worked on one of the ET circuit cards, you'll
probably be fine.

Then you have to deal with the mechanical challenge of fitting a 5k or 10k
ohm potentiometer into the tractor to control the controller.
Unfortunately
Alltrax never developed bolt-in replacements for the E15 lever and the E20
pedal.

Though come to that, here are a few options that (for a price) might make
things easier:

https://na.suzohapp.com/products/driving_controls/50-0242-00

https://na.suzohapp.com/products/driving_controls/50-8184-00

https://na.suzohapp.com/products/driving_controls/50-8194-02

I've looked at these arcade controllers many times, but I haven't yet
sprung
for one.  If you try one, please post your experience.

Assuming you have all the parts on hand, installing an Alltrax should take
you a good chunk of a Saturday, maybe a Sunday afternoon too.  I did mine
in
a day.  I didn't gut the tractor, though I probably should have.  I reused
what wiring still looked good and replaced a little of it.

Other controllers will no doubt take longer than that to install, but when
you're done, you'll never again have problems with burnt relay contacts,
exploded card 1 diodes, or loose and corroded card edge connectors.

At least to me, this was a big deal.  I actually had the controller for a
few months before I installed it.  What got me off my duff was plowing the
driveway with the hood propped open and the relay panel tilted down, so I
could reverse the tractor by pushing on the reverse relay.

As a bonus, I got the ability to move the tractor precisely, about a
centimeter at a time.  I never had that with the granularity of the click-
step GE controller.

So yes, it's absolutely worth it.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA