Re: (ET) Curtis controller mod

> I think Robert Troll made a wiki on Curtis controllers, but again my
> memory is not notably reliable.
>
> --Charlie

Indeed I did. The full detailed plans list should be out there, shoot me
an email if you want to know more.

The Curtis 1204 with high pedal disable works just fine with the ET
motors, and was made for permanent magnet motors. It has not even gotten
remotely warm in the few years of use that i have gotten out of it. I was
not the first to use this setup, i just came up with a simple analog
safety ckt to control the field and make sure that the field always has
power before the armature. No need to use any relay for reverse, you
simply reverse the field using a switch. Varistor prevents back voltage,
and 4a fuse prevents over current.

I did this because when i went looking for info how to install a
controller i got lots of "Yeah no problem, or at least it should work."
type of answers. One of two people had working designs, but did not have
automatic safety's or were using home brew control boards. I also had a
few hucksters try to sell me controllers with "special programming" for
only $900. It was a good exercise and learning experience that i am very
satisfied with and i learned a lot about controllers and the ET's.

The Alltrax DCX-300 is a replacement for the Curtis with the addition of a
field controlling ckt. 4QD controller will also work (must add field
control ckt) and give you the benefit of regen. A few people have
complained that the Alltrax cannot be rebuilt. This is BC the alltrax
encases their ckts in epoxy for durability (think golf carts). The curtis
is rebuild-able by most golf cart shops for a few hundred. On the other
hand i hear that the alltrax warranty is fantastic and they often do
courtesy replacements long after the warranty is up.

Here is what it comes down to for me. Do you have a curtis lying around
that is not being used? If so you are looking at around $50 in parts to
build the field ckt. The cost of the ET specific alltrax is $450. I would
not go out any buy a new curtis, or used one, unless it could be had for
under $200. If not then give Jim or Harold a call and buy the Alltrax. The
ET specific alltrax controls the field natively, and will reducing the
wiring down to almost nothing.

I would also gut and rewire the tractor, rather than retrofitting the
controller. I never saw the point of putting a new controller in with
original wiring all over.  I have heard from 6 or so people who have
installed the curtis using the ckt i put out and they are all happy. These
are just my thoughts, your mileage may vary.