Re: (ET) Speed controller acting wonky

Replaced all of the micro switches last year and it made the tractor almost run like it had new batteries.  Ended up saving a lot of energy, better acceleration, etc., but don’t stop there.

Suggest you replace all the brushes on the main drive motor and also consider changing out any other boards and the 2 smaller relays if you have a chance as well.   Remember to change out any bad clips to the boards.  You can modify small connectors , female end, by very carefully squeezing in the edges ever so slightly and bending in the middle back to cut down on the wiggle.  The tiny original ones don’t appear to be availed anymore.

Hank

From: Nick Skinner [mailto:kc2dzb nycap rr com]
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2016 10:30 AM
To: 'Briggs, Michael' <Michael Briggs unh edu>; elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) Speed controller acting wonky

Operating on the assumption that this is the earlier generation with Card 1 (since you mentioned it). Get your multimeter out and check for ~36 volts on pad 10 and pad 11 of Card 1 in speed setting 2, and ~36 volts on pad 13 and pad 14 in speed setting 3. Also, the FW relay should kick in speed setting 3 (36 volts on pad 15). Note, you can use pad 12 as your 0 volt reference (“ground”).

If you’re not getting control voltage on these pads, then you either have broken or worn out microswitches in your speed controller. The plungers on the switches do wear out over time and can get flaky. If the switches are OK, then you’re likely up against bad wiring or connections.

If you are getting voltage to the input pads (10 and 13) but not on the output pads (11, 14, and 15), then my first suspicion is that the control card capacitors for speeds 2, 3, and 4+ are failing. In the diagram on page 5-24 of the HSM, they’re called out as C103, 104, and 105. My thought is that their capacitance is marginal at this point, so they just can’t store enough charge to function with the added voltage drop of the mower deck running. The “Control Card” section on page 5-2 has a good description of how the circuits are supposed to function. Jim C (www.electrictractorstore.com) has these replacement caps.

If you have voltage in and out of the control card, then my best guess is that the issue is the 1A and 2A contactors or their wiring.

Nick