(ET) Speed controller acting wonky

I have an E-15 that I restored several years ago. Over the past year or two, the speed controller has been getting increasingly wonky. When going forward, it sometimes will not go past the lowest speed setting. Especially if I turn the mower blades on first, and then try to start moving forwards. It's more likely to obey my command to go faster if I first move the speed controller to a higher speed setting, and once it's going at that speed, then turn on the mower blades. Of course, that's rather inconvenient.

Last weekend, I couldn't get it to go out of first speed no matter what I did. I found something in the archives about connections 10 and 11 (if I remember correctly) on card 1 being related to speed control, so I cleaned those up with some Deoxit, and reseated the contact "plugs", and that got it to work somewhat. It was still misbehaving a lot, usually requiring me to start moving before turning on the mower blades, but at least I could get it to go past first speed.

Anyone have an idea what the problem is?

In general, I try to drive around in 3rd speed while mowing - so bypassing the big resistive bands, but not using any field weakening. I *think* that the system may often bypass speeds 2 and 3, but allow me to do the field weakening. Is the resistor bypass controlled independently of the field weakening? (I know the speed selector on the dash lets us choose speed, what I'm wondering is if the field weakening circuit is independent of the resistor bypass, such that the latter may work while the former does not. I suspect that would be the case)

Hmmm... I should drive around in a higher speed for a while, and see if the resistive bands are hot.

Thanks!

Mike

Michael S. Briggs, PhD
UNH Physics Department