Re: (ET) ET Headlights

             It would be clever to use a relay that picks up whenever the throttle or directional switch,depending on model, selects Reverse. :)

RJ

On 2/22/2016 11:01 AM, Eric Adams via Elec-trak wrote:
Here's a little more info for those interested:

I used two of the lights from Superbright, one for each side. The stock headlights were removed. I made angle brackets that attach using the two screws holding the OEM sheet metal that are next to the headlights, and attached the new lights to those brackets. At this point, there is nothing in front of the new lights, but someday I will probably make clear windows that fit into the stock openings to make it look more "finished".
My tractor is ... very not stock ... I picked up 36V behind the dash, ran it through an un-used fuse block location, through the original dash switch, and out to the lights. So the original switch is still used.
I measured power consumption prior to installing, and they appear to behave exactly as advertised over a wide voltage range. Raising the voltage caused the current to go down, but the apparent illumination never changed. (There is a "floor" of about 8V ish below which they don't work). So they should indeed be drawing about 0.25amp each at pack voltage, but I failed to measure that.
I have bought other things as well from SuperBright, and been happy with what they provide. They are bit more expensive than other internet sources, but their datasheets are accurate and complete and spelled correctly. You get what they advertise, which is kind of refreshing these days...
The light output on the tractor is wonderful, but not overwhelming. If this is 900 lumens each, then that is a very nice amount of light. More than minimum needed for sure, but not so massive as to be silly.
My biggest "learning" from this is the realization that I use the back of my tractor just as much the front (reversing, dragging, towing, etc.) so the darkness behind the seat is now very obvious. I plan to add some illumination of some sort to the rear, but haven't decided how quite yet.

Cheers, Eric

On Friday, February 19, 2016 6:38 PM, David Roden <etpost drmm net> wrote:
On 19 Feb 2016 at 19:29, Eric Adams via Elec-trak wrote:

> 10W ...  900 lumens ...

Superbright LEDs sells pretty good stuff.  They generally seem to rate their
lights honestly, unlike many of the Chinese ebay sellers.

So assuming these really do produce 900 lumens, they should give you over
twice the light of the stock bulbs, which are rated 402 initial lumens, at
something less than half the power (10W vs 23W).  It's also a much higher
color temperature (more bluish light), which is better for night vision.

If it's the $35 one on the website, I don't think the price is excessive for
what you're getting.