Re: (ET) She runs...but

              I would not recommend that. You will find the relay either dangling by the wires, or arc welding itself to the control cabinet. It gets warm enough in there for the pressure sensitive adhesive to take a nap. :(

RJ

On 5/6/2015 12:21 PM, stupidemail5 lycos com wrote:

Ok so no current, won't light  a light bulb, so probably no issue there.

I'm thinking I'll double sticky tape the damn relay in.....

On 2015-05-06 15:44, Jim Coate wrote:

Yes, the chassis should be isolated. In turn "should" see zero volts, but modern meters may confuse the readings. A light bulb can be useful in testing as you say. Wiring harness damage or build up of carbon dust in the motor are possible causes (although the latter is only on vehicles with a lot of use that have worn down the brushes to make the dust). Look at the wiring harness under the frame near where the belts go from the motor to the transmission as often not secured tightly enough and gets frayed by the moving belts. Or as RJ mentioned the headlight wiring can melt into the big power resistor (toaster) up front. Or mice can chew pretty much anywhere they like.

Dirty batteries can also cause problems. A thin film of dust and dirt impregnated with water/acid spray makes a decent conductor. A good scrubbing fixes it, but probably clean batteries to start as you just put them in.