Re: (ET) She runs...but

If the field was open for top speed, you'd see huge current draw, pegging the meter. The GE design is simply closing switches to bypass the Card 3 resistors for higher speeds so unlikely to fail to an open field if ok is other speeds.

As a long shot on the flakey relay, is the wiring harness caught up such that it either pushes or pulls against the contacts with just enough tension to keep them from working properly?