Re: (ET) One cell frozen in the whole pack

On 19 Feb 2015 at 19:52, Chris Zach wrote:

> When I examine the [batteries] tonight and find [one] shot, is there a
> general consensus regarding manufacturer/ brand and type of 6 volt
> batteries to get?

In the past, I haven't been too impressed with golf car batteries made by
Johnson Controls and Exide. Others may not have had the same experiences,
however.  I know one person who really likes Exide.

It's also been a long time since I tried them.  Things can change (both
ways).

I've used East Penn's gel batteries (Deka Dominators) and they've given me
really outstanding service.  The pack I have in my ET is 17 years old, and
it's just now finally starting to show its age.

I've also used East Penn's SLI batteries in ICEVs and had good results,
though I don't recall keeping any of those cars more than 4-5 years after
installing the battery.

I haven't tried EP's flooded golf car batteries.  (Does anyone know, do
they
actually make them, or do they subcontract the manufacture like so many
other brands?  I have no clue.)

The golf car battery brands I usually recommend for ETs and other EVs are
US
Battery and Trojan.  You'll find passionate partisans for both.  IMO the
difference between the two is small, and the way you care for your
batteries
will probably have more effect on their life and reliability than the
choice
between these two brands.  FWIW, USB is usually cheaper.

As for type, the best value is usually a standard capacity battery, such
as
the USB 2200XC2 or the Trojan T105.  These are commodity items widely used
in golf cars, and thus tend to be pretty aggressively priced.  They also
turn over fast, so I'd expect them to be fresher at battery dealers.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA