(ET) Transaxle

In my large frame ET (26AE12CA) the trans making a ratcheting sound while
underway.  Over a two year period the sound has gone from just a minor
annoyance in the low gears to noise in any gear, fwd or rev.  Jack the
thing up with both wheels free, in gear, and the sound goes away.

The drive motor always runs fine.  So, this is a Peerless 2318 trans and
as I don't think it will be long-lived,  I want to upgrade to a limited
slip (I believe a Peerless 2317) but may have to settle for a 2318, if any
out there.

Peerless is OOB and am told parts are not available.  Before trying my
local shop, any advice from youse guys will be welcome.

Thanks, Jack

PS:  Plowed a lot of snow lately.  As I did his driveway a friend said
"that noise don't hurt the runnin' of none."  He's from Brooklyn.