From: Chad Bush via Elec-trak [mailto:elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu]
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2014 10:17 AM
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) Fuses made of silver?

David,

Obviously there is a reason the fuses are blowing. $10 each for a mower motor fuse isn't bad, considering the cost of a new armature, which is probably PRICELESS. I found newer circuit breakers for the GE motors at Waytek, but they aren't the slow-blow type. Might take a look at what they have, but I think you will run into issues of trying to compare amperage at the working voltage. There is a general amperage-squared times T parameter that is used to compare most fuses.

I believe GE used the slow-blow fuses to eliminate issues with the startup surge, hence the 30A slow-blow for the lift motors. The GE deck motors for 36" decks with 18" blades use a 30A breaker. I think you could reasonably size a breaker based on that, as long as the motor ratings are similar.

Good Luck,

Chad Bush