From: David Roden <etpost drmm net>
To: elec-trak <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Sun, Jul 20, 2014 3:55 am
Subject: Re: (ET) Fuses made of silver?

On 19 Nov 2013 at 13:30, David Roden wrote:
 The Avco R36 blew a mower motor fuse this past weekend.  Mouser wants
> $9.77 each plus shipping!

And yet another this past weekend.  Mouser is now charging $10.05 each.

I'd like to replace these 40a slow-blow fuses with circuit breakers.  I see
quite a few DC breakers on Ebay for 50% to 100% more than the MDL 40 fuse.
That looks like a pretty good deal.

The question is, what size breaker should I use?

Given the size of the wire connecting to the mower motors, I'm guessing that
GE oversized the fuses - and used slow-blow type - so they'd open on a
serious long-term overload, but not on a normal starting surge.  I need to
choose a breaker that will act the same way.  That might not necessarily be
a 40 amp breaker.
Ideas?  Suggestions?  All appreciated.  Thanks.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA