(ET) Snow management - blower vs. blade

We've had some snow this year. A couple of winters ago I chose to use the blade instead of the blower on my E-12, and I was pretty satisfied. A bit of a learning curve, but this year I figured I was ready. Heavy duty lift strap, trained on right level of blade lift from experience, and moving in smooth increments to accommodate uneven terrain (and trying to keep it that way).

This year, I set aside about 150 square metres of lawn for snow storage. I pushed the first snowfall as far back on this area as possible. Next snowfall pushed up to on onto that fall. Third snowfall, repeat. And so on. Now that area is covered about 1.5 metres (5 feet high), and the facing angle is too steep to climb. Snow bank is starting to encroach out onto the roadway, and it is unlikely our city will come to clear it away (based on past experience). The calendar says we have some winter season left before we should expect the spring thaw (typically starts late March). I expect we might see some more snow before that <understatement>.

Weather forecast indicates a warm spell for this weekend (close to freezing mark - nice change from the -25 and lower temps in past couple of weeks, as low as -40 if you believe in windchill). Unfortunately, due to other projects that got stranded in the garage due to early arrival of snow in early November, not enough space to work on ET inside.

I think it may be time to put the blower back on, and chew on the edge of the snowbank and blow the stuff up onto or over the existing pile and 5-foot high fence.

Any other thoughts? Anybody got a technique for blading to higher than 5-foot high piles for next year?

By the way, our tiny, corded 'electric shovel' does a phenomenal job on dry snow that has not been compacted. Super on the entrance walk way where the ET can't get. But it can't deal with heavy, wet snow, or snow that has been strongly compacted by previous plowing or blowing, or ice chunks. I have been using this machine to move the snow out of the tight spaces onto the driveway or roadway, then using the ET to push it to 'storage'.

--
Darryl McMahon
Project Manager,