Re: (ET) Deck Motor Alternate Use

On 7 Oct 2013 at 16:31, Robert Troll wrote:

> Only issue is i cannot seem to find any DC Motor controllers that
> output around 40v.

A typical scooter controller will be for 14 to 48 volts and 250-400 watts,
or ~1/4 to 1/3hp.  These are imported by the hundreds of thousands from
Taiwan and China, and are available at scooter parts vendors.  You can get
plenty of cut-price direct import junk on Ebay too, but quality can be
iffy.

If that's not enough power, most golf car controllers are designed for 36
48 volts at 100-300 amps, roughly 3.5 - 14.5hp (allowing for efficiency).
Curtis and Alltrax are a couple of brands.

One caution though, golf car controllers are usually meant for series
motors.  The lower inductance of a PM motor may confuse their current
limiting circuits.  This isn't likely to cause you a problem if you
oversize
the controller.

The 4qd folks have beautifully designed PM motor controllers:

http://www.4qd.co.uk/

When last I looked, they had controllers for 35 to 240 amps.  At 40v,
that's
roughly 1.4 to 9.6 hp.

4qd list US distributors on their website.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA