Re: (ET) Mower Musings

On 20 Jun 2013 at 17:35, Konstanty, Walter (GE Energy Management) wrote:

> A mechanic friend of mine turned me on to "Fluid Film" rust
> preventative..... he uses it on cars and it is a "natural" product like
> WD-40.

Have you used this on a mower deck?  It sounds like you could just spray
or
brush it on over rusted metal, and it would prevent further rusting and
maybe even make grass easier to remove.  (I had hoped that graphite spray
would do that, but I tried it on a push mower, and it was mostly a bust.)

I checked Fluid Film out on the web, and now I wonder which compound your
friend uses.  There are thin liquids which they say last only for a season
(and the way I scrape grass off the deck, it might not even last that
long).
Others are thicker "marine" products which they say last 2, 3, even 10
years.  Presumably those are more expensive.  I'd be worried about
scrapign
those off with the grass, too.

The description of the liquids reminds me of the stuff I had applied to
one
of my cars back in the 1970s, Tuff Kote Dinol rustproofing.  I don't think
that was a lanolin-based material, though.

On 20 Jun 2013 at 17:22, harry landis wrote:

> I still say bite the bullet and hot dip galvanize it.

This sounds great!  I remember your posting it quite some time ago and
thought it was a good idea then, too.  Unfortunately, when I checked into
it
a couple of years ago, I couldn't find anyone in my area willing to
hot-dip
my deck.  Maybe I should try again.