(ET) mixing 6 and 12v batteries?

My battery pack is made up of varying vintages and brands.  4 still have
at least a year or 2 of life (and maybe more) left but the 2 newest (only
2 years old, and no winter use) are awful.  Whether charged with the pack,
or individually with a smart charger, they won't get much above 6.2v or
so.  They aren't USB's but they were new when I bought them--from the same
guys I generally get USB's from-- and they were close to this bad most of
last year.  Not sure if I undercharged them the first year I had them or
if something else is going on?

If money were no object I'd spend $600 and replace the whole pack, and be
a happy camper.  But it is.  I'm not keen to spend $200 for 2 new
batteries which obviously won't match the old, etc. etc.  Have looked
around for used but none available.   So my question is, as a somewhat
short term solution would replacing the 2 bad 6v batteries with one 12v
battery make any sense, or be a terrible idea?  I'm guessing the 12v might
be cheaper  than 2 sixes?  And then, at the end of the rest of the packs
life, I'd theoretically have a 12v battery that might have some life in
it, for other uses?

Thanks.

Thon