Re: (ET) E-15 pulley removal -> drive belt modifications

Thanks again for the feedback. I have been using the notched belts changed
at the same time according to the procedure in the manual. I even have two
wood shims set aside just for that.

I am using my ET to mow 8 tenths of an acre with probably only 20 feet in
elevation change from one end to the other. Average pitch perhaps 1/10.
Since my ET was converted to solid state controls, I find it easier to
begin the cut in rectangular laps where I reverse back across the corner
once at each right angle turn. After I get far enough in from the edges
then I cut ovals where cutting only happens on the long edges. The ET is
also used to doze snow from a level driveway of 1200 square feet in the
winter. Plus clearing the entry into the road. So nothing that seems
really extreme to me. How long should I expect the belts last under these
conditions?

Andy Poush

On Feb 11, 2013, at 1:30 PM, Jim Coate <lists freerangeelectric com> wrote:

On 2/11/13 9:36 AM, Andrew Poush wrote:
> .. I always end up with a looser one that slips and then the other
> one gets worn out quicker. ...
> Has anyone tried running V-belts of slightly differing properties
> (tensile strength or thickness)?

As long as the belts are adjusted and not old, I've had the tires slip
before the belts. The original belts were indeed just plain V's (solid
rubber). Bill Gunn and now me and most others have taken to using the
notched version (the extra X) which is more flexible and sits deeper in
the pulley. As see here
http://electrictractorstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=32

These are made for use in matched pairs, or triplets or quads - all common
in industrial applications. Walt kindly posted the directions for
adjusting the tension. A new set will likely need one or two adjustments
as it settles in, then just check each spring.

--
Jim Coate
Free Range Electric