Re: (ET) snow thrower parts, eBay items

On 18 Dec 2012 at 8:06, Jim Coate wrote:

> Perhaps the G2 version will have better reliability...

I read some of the Amazon reviews for the G2 version.  It's clear that
there
ae still some significant problems with this gadget.  It's hard to tell
how
much of it is basic design and how much is not being able to manage the
reality of low-end, low-bid Chinese manufacturing.  I've read that
subcontractors may ignore quality control, substitute cheaper or
counterfeit
parts, and even skip assembly steps, all in order to maximize profit,
since
you (the "manufacturer") are the one bearing the warranty expense.

>From what I've read, you can't just send your design to most Chinese
subcontractors; you have to send your own employees over more or less
permanently, to monitor the manufacturing process closely.

The fundamental problem here may be just a different facet of the one GE
had
with the ET.  It's hell to compete with an ICE mower on price, because you
don't have the same economy of scale, either at the component or assembly
level.  When you cut your manufacturing expenses to try to compete on
price,
you become non-competitive on quality.

I say again : for much less than what you'd pay for this mower, new, you
could get a really nice used ET ER8-36 or R8, plus one or two spare parts
machines.  You'd have no more headaches keeping it running, probably
fewer,
and you'd have a more durable and flexible mower to boot.  But I'll admit,
you usually can't just click a button and have an ET delivered to your
garage, ready (one hopes) to mow.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA