Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 20:54:42 -0500
From: jmurray1232 rochester rr com
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) Replacement of the Elec-Trak.com site

On 12/12/2012 2:11 PM, George Beckett wrote:
For some time people have been trying to contact Don Barry who administers the Elec-Trak.com site.  It does not appears he has logged on in months and months.  I myself have tried several ways to contact him in the last couple months with no luck.  Does anyone here know how to contact him?  The site is unstable and is experiencing problems.

I'm afraid Mr. Barry might have fallen on some bad luck along the way. I hate to say it but I personally and several others who frequent that site now do believe it's time to build a new home. A lot of odd things have been happening lately and it seems we are getting some odd visitors as well. We really don't know when the site will expire and the software is dreadfully out of date. The new software has a lot more features and I think in general it would be nice to have some more functionality, protection, and attention to it.

That being said I thought I would post a poll on that site to see the general consensus of the members. Please share your thoughts both on the poll and in posts if you are so inclined.

If the decision is to find a new home, I'll be glad to organize a conference call with some other techies and help with the site planning and design but we will need a new administrator and I really think we should consider moderators-we have been living too well for too long. At a minimum, the start-up costs as well is something that should be shared and at least a place to allow donations for on-going expenses. I'm still trying to find time to finish the refresh on my own site and doing the things to it I want to do on it is more than enough to keep me busy. I will volunteer if folks think it is a good idea to integrate the forum software and picture gallerys into my site to make a more "one stop" experience for members and visitors to find information on ET's but I personally do not have time to administer it. One of the biggest jobs will be preserving the threads so we can keep all that history contained within.  I have some ideas how but would welcome others.

Please participate in the poll and if it is decided to move to a new home I'll be glad to organize the first meeting of volunteers.

Meantime, if anyone knows how to get a hold of Don, please do and let me know as well.  Thanks!!!!

Geo
www.myelec-traks.com

IMO: the current site is a hugely informative and extensive collection of information and experiences.  I visit from time to time as I suspect most casual collectors are.  There is a wealth of personal experiences, Photos and technical info on there that will be hard to replace if it is lost.   I personally find the e-mail forum to be less user friendly.  Search capability is a huge help to me.  Technical collections/bulletins as well,  I am not sure how these would work into a forum type collection.

Just my two cents...