Re: (ET) Speed / power drain / reverse problems C185

              One quick and dirty way to help pin down that's going on is obliquely mentioned in the HSM. Promise me that you have it, OK ? <VBG>

Mechanically close the contacts of the 2AH relay.{Before doing so, clean the contacts on the relay leaves by dragging a business card or similar substitute through the contacts.}This will allow the 2A contactor to pick up,bypassing that armature resistor,(Yes, those are the ones that glow so nicely when that are still in the circuit when they shouldn't be.),to allow full armature voltage.In your case, it would be the right hand armature resistor in the front of the battery box.

NOTE.If the 1A contactor were to fail to pick up, the symptoms would be identical, except the LEFT hand side of the armature resistor would be imitating a toaster.

                  You SHOULD also be able to cause the 2A contactor to pick up by pressing the Cruise Control button.The 2A contactor is the one in the upper right hand corner of the lower panel in the Control Cabinet.The Field Weakening resistors are found on the right hand side of the upper Control Cabinet panel.

               Now that I have thoroughly confused you, any questions ?

RJ