(ET) Speed / power drain / reverse problems C185

Hi all,
I believe I posted this question previously but still have yet to solve
and actually use my C185 because of it.

The problem (s):
1)Reverse only works in fast cruise mode (cruise never has worked also)
and only by putting foot to floor. It jerks hard when engages /
disengages, especially with D1and D2.

2)When moving forward especially noteable in D1 and D2 the power draw is
HEAVY and the front resistance coil gets hot and burned smell. I have
never used the tractor since I've acquired it other than test driving
short distances,  and I doubt the speed has reached more than 5-7 MPH.

I have tried new contractors as per Harold and has not made any difference
. (I appreciate your help Harold nonetheless ; and understand it was an
educated guess)

 Jim C suggested it may be diode issues in the varistor board...but I am
currently unemployed and can't afford to keep on guessing what's wrong.
Could someone please help?

Jef Spalding