Re: (ET) Found the problem with the charger

On 7/15/2012 7:33 PM, David Roden wrote:
Yep, NiCd chemistry is touchier than lead, and lithium is an order of
magnitude more challenging than NiCd.

However there are some very nice tools for Lithium, and it's looking to be the wave of the future and all that. The key is simple: Unless you really know what you're doing have a BMS that can turn off the pack if voltage goes over or under a threshold on any one cell.

This is important.

The power density of Lithium is insane. I have a 30ah NiCD battery pack that will put out a good solid 20ah in a rear weight box. Weighs about a hundred pounds. I have a 20ah Lithium pack in a wooden box. It can be lifted with one hand and takes up about a quarter of the space......

Chris