(ET) Found the problem with the charger

So this morning I bench tested the charger. Without any connections to anything the transformer put out 70 volts AC on the secondary windings. 35 volts per side.

The high voltage lines to the cap read about 210 volts AC.

Then I cleaned off the contacts on the cap with the grunder brush and hooked it up. 90 volts AC on the secondary (45.5/44.5) and 290 volts at the capacitor. So the cap does boost the current.

Then I hooked up the rectifiers and checked voltage output. 44 volts DC, no problem.

Then I hooked up a motor as a test load. Didn't run. 0 volts at the motor.

Then I heard a *snap* from the charger and the motor stated. Then stopped. Then started. Oh great. Checked motor, 43 volts, no problem.

Stopped the charger, started up. Nothing. No voltage at motor. Checked the diodes, 45 volts at the diodes.

I checked the diodes at the transformer common and the heat sink. Hooked an aligator clip from the heat sink to the motor. Motor started right up no problem.

The issue was that the positive connection from the bottom of the heat sink to the molex plug (+) had gone high resistance. Due to corrosion and so forth.

Took off the diodes, took off the diode assembly, ground away all the crud at the spot where the lug comes off, cleaned up the lug (tinned copper), put it all together again.

Everything works. Puts out a nice solid 20a at 40 volts tapering off as you pass 41. By the way under load the voltage (AC) across the capacitor drops, my guess is that is the current control. Neat.

Anyway, that's the problem. I just ran it for an hour to charge the 20ah lithium pack, the whole heat sink gets *very warm* under load, I'm guessing it's the older inefficient diodes. But still, it does work properly.

I'll put it back in the tractor later and start testing the Lithium pack next weekend.