(ET) I-5 Restoration Notes

Restoring my I-5 and a i wanted to burn a couple of things into the internet.

First is color. I have a perfectly preserved paint sample, under seat, that cannot be matched. Simply put paint scanners cannot reproduce orange/red with any degree of accuracy. Something about the sensor and the spectrum it uses. Tried three different places. Spent about an hour at each, and they all failed to even come close to be able to match the original color.

Ended up at home depot later on in the day. Noticed a nice Ariens rider sitting out front. Pretty darn close color wise. Real close. Tried to get Ariens paint. Can only get it through an Ariens dealer and it is expensive. $20 per can. Internet forums said Allis Chalmers Orange is a match. Found a can, and low and behold we have a winner. So if you are painting an I-5 Allis Chalmers Orange is your best bet. Easy to find and cheap.

Second thing are those pesky Varistors. We all hate them because they blow, but they are necessary. Was speaking with an electrical engineer friend of mine and he said "Why don't you just run 4 in parallel?" Yeah they are stack able. Instead of one taking all the brunt, i have four taking 1/4 of the brunt each. Should last a lifetime.