Re: (ET) moving armature sense from 6 to 8...

Chris asked about the use of wire 6 versus wire 8 as the feed into terminal 7 on card 1 of an E15. (Whew!)

I've done a bit of experimenting and would like to provide the following as my best guess about some of the secrets of card 1.

The purpose of the input at terminal 7 appears to be to prevent swithing from "off" to electric speed #1 when the motor is still turning ("fast enough"). It also prevents switching from forward into reverse when the motor is still turning. In both cases, the tractor may be moving or stationary.

Both of these events will occur when the 1A and 2A contactors are open (and toaster elements R1 and R2 are in series with the motor armature); in addition, the L contactor will be open, so that the only voltage appearing at either wire (6 or 8) will be the result of generator action as the motor is being turned by its own momentum or by the tractor's momentum, with the armature turning through the remaining magnetic field from the field coi.

I measured the voltage at wire 8 when the motor was turned off and allowed to coast, the tractor being stationary. Using a digital storage oscilloscope, I saw the voltage on wire 8 drop from about 36v to 0v over a period of about 1 second. I did not measure the voltage on wire 6, but it would clearly be somewhat less than the voltage on wire 8. However, the bulk of the voltage drop will be across the 15 or so ohms of the field coil; the toaster elements will have a very much smaller voltage drop.

Some of the GE wiring diagrams show wire 6 connecting to card 1 terminal 7, while others show wire 8 connecting there. Perhaps (perhaps!) it really makes little difference.

Regarding the reverse relay, as long as there is "enough" voltage on terminal 7, transistor Q105 will serve to disable any attempt to go from forward to reverse. The reverse switch will feed 36v to SCR106, but its gate voltage will be held at "0v" by Q105. When terminal 7 has dropped low enough, Q105 will turn off and the SCR106 will fire, latching itself on and energizing the reverse relay.

That relay will remain energized no matter what the motor is doing until the reverse switch is opened (for forward motion). At that point, no matter what, the reverse relay will drop out, switching the field polarity. That would seem dangerous if the motor is turning fast and acting as a generator feeding the field coil *in the previous polarity direction*.

Capacitor C106, 20uf, is connected such that it will keep the relay energized even after the reverse switch opens, but only for a few milliseconds. A much bigger capacitor would be needed to keep the relay engaged "long enough" for the motor to slow down and stop being a generator. Something on the order of 4000 uf might do the trick (for some values of "might").

It seems strange that GE would go to the effort to avoid switching from forward to reverse while moving but would not provide a similar protection for switching from reverse to forward.

These tests were in the context of examining the effect of letting up on the speed control on the I-5 (CA version), where there is no dynamic braking effect as there is on the E15. The I-5 coasts for about twice as long, and on steep downhills will gain speed, something that the E15 is much less likely to do.

From a few tests, it seems that adding a single diode from wire 8 to the "top" of the field coil will give the I-5 (CA) a practical dynamic braking effect. (This applies to tractors that use the two-pole contactors R and L contactors for reversing the armature polarity.)

"Believe at your own risk..."

Larry Chace, Ithaca, NY  I-5 and E15