Re: (ET) FW: elec-trak front mower capabilities?

I was noodling around with exactly the same idea, Dennis!  Even made a
few drawings on napkins.

The sickle bar has the advantage of a wide swath, so that you'd get a
cleaner cut in fewer passes.  The string trimmer has the advantage of
doing less damage if you're cutting the water's edge and a goose or
pet dog suddenly appears in front of the cutting head.  Yowch.

I've been thinking vaguely about some sort of outrigger to mount the
deck out from the side of the tractor, too...  but that wouldn't work
as well, since it couldn't be angled down a slope like the sickle bar.

My kids have found rusty old stoneguards from a John Deere sickle bar
on the property, lost by someone in the past or upstream.  It took me
quite a while to identify what the heck they were.

--Charlie