Re: (ET) Diagnosing delay error on E15 board

On 27 Oct 2011 at 16:29, CZ wrote:

> Reversing the field was probably the stupidest idea they could have come
> up
> with ...

Actually, that's an entirely reasonable way to reverse a separately
excited
motor.   I think (but am not 100% positive) that's the way the Alltrax
does
it.

As I understand it - and warning, I'm not an EE - because the field
operates
at relatively low current, it makes more sense to reverse it with light,
inexpensive relays or semiconductors, instead of using expensive, heavy
high
current contactors or semiconductors to reverse the armature's polarity.

I guess it's just the GE didn't design proper field handling into their
E15
controller.  Maybe it's easier to do that when the field current is
controlled by a microprocessor?

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA