Re: (ET) Creative solution to front-mount mowing pattern

ah - a structured person!   I use the "farmer's pattern."  I cut down the middle the full length of my lawn, then turn fairly sharply 180 degrees and come back and make another 180 degree turn to the starting point, but over 1 mower width.  I then continue this pattern moving over 1 mower width each direction of each round, so I never have to back and turn.  If my distance gauging is good, I can start the pattern and make the turn just right so that I have mowed 1/2 the total lawn in each direction.  The difference between the square pattern and mine is that my up-and-back is always the same length.  I wonder which pattern minimizes the total distance travelled or minimizes the total area mowed more than once in the process.

From: Peter Bishop [mailto:plnsbishop frontier com]
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2011 2:55 PM
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: (ET) Creative solution to front-mount mowing pattern

I tried this yesterday.  It’s a bit site specific, as far as I can see best for wide open areas.

Start in the middle of the yard and make a few straight passes to make a small square.

Then begin expanding that square outward.  Since the configuration is best suited for the outside of a turn it actually works perfectly.

In my experiment (which I didn’t come up with until I was about ½ way done with the yard) I made a spiral, starting in the middle and working out.  I have my own crop ring.

Pete Bishop

Poynette, WI

608-235-9390