From: David Roden (Akron OH USA) [mailto:etpost drmm net]
Sent: Friday, June 24, 2011 12:39 AM
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) GE Elec Trak

Can't help you on the solar part, but I can tell you that I fitted an
Alltrax controller to my E15 a few years ago.  I would never go back to
the factory speed control.  The Alltrax is buttery-smooth; I can move
the
tractor by centimeters.   (As a note, there are other transistor
controllers
that can provide the same service, it's just that this one is configured
for
ETs.)

It's also more reliable.  Folks will tell you that the big advantage of
the GE contactor controller is that it's easy to work on because it's so
straightforward.  They're right, and that's a good thing, because you'll
be
working on it a fair bit, if my experience is any indication.

On the other hand, once you get the Alltrax installed, it JUST WORKS.

When I had the GE contactor controller, I was forever fixing something,
either a semiconductor on one of the cards or the burnt reversing relay
contacts.  The final straw came the blustery winter's day when I was
plowing and had to reverse the tractor by raising the hood, lowering the
relay panel, and pushing on the reverse relay.

You can certainly rebuild or replace the various components of the GE
controller, and that will probably improve its reliability.  However,
IMO it's not worth working on.  If yours works, I'd say use it until it
doesn't, and then rip it out and put in something that wasn't developed
in the Apollo Space Program era.

But as you'd expect there are plenty of opinions to the contrary here.
;-)