Re: (ET) NiMH batteries (OT)

On 4 Jun 2011 at 11:14, Chris Zach wrote:

>  it's not enough power for a traction car, and one would have to have
> about 10 strings in parallel to run them on an Elec-Trak.

Well, not quite.  They probably produce plenty of POWER (as in Watts),
since
they're meant for use in gasoline-only hybrid vehicles.  In that
application
they soak up energy during braking and release it on acceleration
(simplification).  That requires lots of peak power, but not much energy
storage.  And it's the latter that you need for a road EV or even an ET.

So, most likely lots of power, but not much energy storage.

You could probably use them in a push mower.  That might be their best
application.  In fact if Harry wants to break up a battery and sell
individual cells, I might be interested in buying some, if the price is
right.  I have a 36 volt mower that needs a battery.

The problem is going to be support.  Cobasys (nee Ovonics) has never liked
dealing with individuals, only big automakers.  Folks like us take up lots
of support time, and don't return much income for it.  You can try
emailing
or calling them, but most likely they'll ignore you.  With luck, you might
find someone there who will give you some idea of which automaker who used
these batteries.  That might get you some data indirectly, such as through
the shop manual for the vehicle.

Another approach might be to contact the folks who used to work on the GM-
branded S10 electric pickups out in CA.  (I can't think of the name right
now; it may come to me in a day or two.)  Even then, these aren't the same
critters, so I don't know how much help they'll be.

Honestly, I'm afraid you may have a gang of orphans there. :-(

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA