Re: (ET) E15 oddness...

On 5/9/2011 8:10 PM, David Brandt wrote:
Sounds like what happens to me - the field is staying on whenever the
tractor is in motion, so when you are trying to reverse while still in
motion, this arcs the relay and blows the fuse. On mine the field is
manually controlled, but on the originals, wasn't the MOV what prevented
this? You need that field card installed.

Maybe. This fuse panel to be honest is junk, it goes high resistance. It's possible it is going open, which causes an arc to form which drives up the current (the field acts like an arc stabilizer I think, kind of like the welder accessory) to the point where the fuse blows.

Or something.

In addition the tractor is doing something "odd" which is not good: After the last fuse blow the fuse is out but the meter is still reading voltage on the pack. As soon as I try to engage any relay (go into reverse, try to go into drive) it drops to zero and the relay "chatters".

This is according to the schematics impossible, so battery negative is somehow leaking to line 13 (the controller neutral). I'll guess it's coming from the card 1 through one of the contactors. Which means if I go into drive right now there will be a short as soon as the appropriate transistor/scr comes on and boom will go another fuse.

Glad I used a molex to put card 1 in. Maybe it's that transistor on card pin 4, I knew I should have used a 50 volt one instead of a 40 volt one....

Chris

I believe the HSM is on the elec-trak.com site in PDF. It has block
diagrams and schematics. To an electrical novice like me, the block
diagrams help a lot. It'slike 12 MB and covers all the models.
David Brandt