Re: (ET) Napa Batteries?

A bog-standard golf car battery used to be 220 amp hours (C20) or 105
minutes of reserve capacity at 75 amps.  In recent years some
manufacturers
have cheapened their "standard" batteries, removing active material,
while
others (US Battery, Trojan) have increased it.  Usually the price you pay
will reflect the amount of active material.

CCA is essentially irrelevant for cyclic use.  In fact in 12v batteries
it's
usually the mark of a battery that isn't a true deep cycle battery.  In a
6v
battery, it's more likely just a spec writer who doesn't know what he's
doing.

Here's a somewhat dated battery comparison chart.  The batteries are most
likely about the same today, but the model numbers may have changed.  The
range shown here is 186ah to 251ah, RC from 100 to 154 minutes.  At the
time
I formatted the chart, Napa batteries were made by Exide.

http://www.evdl.org/pages/gc_comparison.html

For most ET users, any golf car battery within the above capacity range
will
work fine.  If you have a huge lot to mow or a very long driveway and very
deep snow, you might go for one of the higher capacity (more expensive)
batteries.

Though I haven't shopped there, I hear that often the cheapest place to
get
golf car batteries is Sam's Club.  They sell various brands, relabeled,
depending on what supplier is closest and who bid lowest in that round.
Over the years their batteries have been reported to be products of
Johnson
Controls, Exide, US Battery, and once in a while even Trojan.

You might also call a local golf course and talk to the golf car
maintenance
staff (assuming they don't use gas cars) to find out where they get their
batteries.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA