Re: (ET) testing charger

The capacitor and extra winding are there to regulate voltage, not power factor.

Are you testing the charger on a workbench, as in not connected to the batteries? Is so, the 39 volts could be OK... most digital meters give numbers a little different than what is listed in the book (written in the days of analog meters).

If you hook up the batteries, you may well see a higher voltage reading as it smooths things out.

Or for techie fun, hook up an oscilloscope as my brother did. The wave form is a bit unusual, and I suspect different meters may average this differently.

Caps are here if needed:
http://electrictractorstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=61

http://electrictractorstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=62

'scope pics are here: