Re: (ET) Motor, belts, and underside wiring completed, time for topside

On 11/8/2010 7:18 AM, Chris Tromley wrote:
In my experience electrical tape has been a problem often enough that I
prefer not to use it.  If you're bundling and positioning the loom, use
zip ties.  If you're insulating it and protecting it from abuse, use
maybe a short length of tape over damaged insulation, inside a length of
split loom sleeve.  Otherwise I fear you'll discover dangling tape and
damaged loom a few years hence.

Very true. I never use electrical tape to hold anything, it's purpose is to wrap and protect electical connections. In this case the main power wire and one of the wires from the lights had sat on the belt and had copper exposed. Cleaning the wire, then wrapping each one with electrical tape provides a proper insulation/weather seal. Then that big sleeve went over the repair, then the zip tie went through the hole in the frame to provide support.

Snug as a bug in a rug now.

On my Prestolite EV motor all the screws threaded into the housing are
tri-lobed self tapping screws.  My guess is that the best material
magnetically is pretty soft mechanically, so they just drill pilot holes
in production and drive in self-tappers as a cost savings.  If that is
true on your motor, machine screws likely won't work and trying to use
them could strip out the soft metal.  Hunt around the motor and see if
any of the other screws have a slightly tri-lobed shape to them, or if
they're some other form of self tapping screw.  You want to get a good
match here.

That then is what those rust covered 3 point screws are for. I'll get a new set of stainless ones from Home Despot this weekend. I just wish there was a source for non-stainless screws that were not made of zinc and crud out there.

Chris