Re: (ET) Motor, belts, and underside wiring completed, time for topside

Hi Chris,

Couple of minor points:
On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 5:31 PM, Chris Zach <cz alembic crystel com> wrote:
First was re-running the loom for the motor. I could see where that rubber sleeve which protects the wires from the belt had slipped and the strap-tie had long since broken off so I widened the hole to 3/16ths of an inch, used a wider tie, and used electrical tape to re-wrap the wires (belt had burned off the insulation). Then re-attached everything, ran the appropriate wires under the motor, and got back to work.
In my experience electrical tape has been a problem often enough that I prefer not to use it.  If you're bundling and positioning the loom, use zip ties.  If you're insulating it and protecting it from abuse, use maybe a short length of tape over damaged insulation, inside a length of split loom sleeve.  Otherwise I fear you'll discover dangling tape and damaged loom a few years hence.
The new belts went on with no problem, although at this point the motor is not tight. Does anyone know the types of bolts that hold on the motor circuit breaker? Machine threaded bolts seem a bit too small.
On my Prestolite EV motor all the screws threaded into the housing are tri-lobed self tapping screws.  My guess is that the best material magnetically is pretty soft mechanically, so they just drill pilot holes in production and drive in self-tappers as a cost savings.  If that is true on your motor, machine screws likely won't work and trying to use them could strip out the soft metal.  Hunt around the motor and see if any of the other screws have a slightly tri-lobed shape to them, or if they're some other form of self tapping screw.  You want to get a good match here.

Chris